At Droneybee, we always keep you up to date with the fast-paced world of drones. In this article though, we’ll look at history. More specifically, when did drones become popular? How did commercial drone technology come to be?
As hobby and commercial drones become ever more popular, their prices become cheaper, their technology improves and they become ever more accessible to people.
However, drones or sUAVs, have not always been a hobby or commercial tech gadget. Their history stems primary from military use. In fact, today’s drones have an interesting, curious and violent past – the history of drones is extremely rich and varied.
It’s interesting to read and understand how the current drone technology came to be and how it has changed over the years. The roots come from over more than two centuries ago. A lot of different technologies had to evolve up to a point where it all came together to eventually enable the current version of drones.
The following Infographic from DronesBuy.net fully explains the history of personal and commercial drones as it happened through the ages, from the first ever unmanned hot-air balloon flight, to the current usage of drones for both personal and commercial purposes.
Before we get to the infographic, check out these interesting highlights:
- Did you know that the first unmanned “vehicle” flight took place in 1782 by the Montgolfier brothers?
- The first military use of drones in history first occurred in 1848 in Austria.
- Nikolo Tesla played a significant part in the evolution of the history of drones.
- The first drone which could take pictures was deployed at the end of the 19th century.
- Marilyn Monroe was spotted first when working within a military drone facility.
- Most of drone usage today is primarily in the entertainment industry, even with the potential for a wide variety of applications.
Have a look at the infographic below, or click on the image to read the full article about the full history of drones and UAVs.